Thursday, February 22

Palestinian family and Jerusalem

IMG_3166
Since I was talking to Said until 3 am I woke up 8 and run for the breakfast. They told me that the breakfast is only until 8. After the breakfast I went to see one more time the Nativity church and sat down in the cave where Jesus was born. I was there alone only with one Franciscan monk from Lebanon. It was very nice quiet and peaceful. When the tourist came in I went to see the other caves. When I got out of the church it was already 1!:30 the time when I was supposed t o meet with Nour and go with him to visit his family in a nearby Palestinian village. I went to buy some sweets for the kids and as I got out of the shop I met Nour and his kids. Hi took me with his 1981 Peugeot 304 to his home. His village is about ( km from Bethlehem and about 10 km from Jerusalem. As we drove to his home I saw the fences and walls surrounding Jerusalem. He told me that the Israelis have build them 2 years ago and since than they can not go to visit Jerusalem. Nour is 45 and he is a biology teacher in the local high school. He has 5 kids, 3 daughters and 2 sons. His family comes from the village and most of his relatives live in the village. The house of the parents was the 1st house build in the village in 1948. His wife is also a teacher. r a tea we went to see Marsaba. There is an old monastery and the Muslims believe that the Jesus was born in this walleye. It was a very nice place and I made a lot of pictures of his beautiful kids. When we came home I had a nice lunch and we talk about the difficult situation in Palestine. He told me that since Hammas came to government they cut out his salary and that the life is more difficult than before. The Palestinians can not go and work in Israel or Jerusalem and Israelis control the water and energy. It was very nice to spend the day with the family and experience a little bit the life. He took me to the Israeli checkpoint which goes to Jerusalem. I was again quite shocked when I saw the 9 m concrete walls and had to pass through scary security passage. Outside I found a small buss which took me to Jerusalem. On the bus I met 2 Australian girls who are living in Jerusalem. I when to the Damascus gate in the old town and find the Palm hostel. I was lucky to get a place. It is only 25 Sik with free vegetarian breakfast and Internet. It was already dark when I went to explore the old town. Most of the stores were already closed but it was nice t o walk in the old city. I met few Palestinians and they were again very friendly. When I was passing a nearby restaurant I was Invited to join Palestinian family at dinner. Since I was not very hungry I took only ice cream. They were from some town which I did not know. Before I left the restaurant I had a nice talk with a men who works in the restaurant. He told me that his wife is Croatian and that he hopes there will be peace soon and that life will be normal again. I came back to the hostel and updated my website.

No comments: