Thursday, December 28

Day 8 - 1st day in Istanbul - mosque and Hamam

IMG_8507.jpg
We were woken up around 5 am with a very loud sound - it was the morning call of the Muezin for the 1st prayer. Since we were sleeping next to the mosque the speakers were very loud. After the breakfast we went to explore the Sultanahmet. There was a small bazar right next to our parking lot and the Blue mosque. It was just before the prayer, but we were allowed to come in and it was also possible to take pictures. We took off our shoes and the girls covered their head with scarf, they borrowed at the entrance. It was very peaceful. There were about 50 men preparing for the prayer. Agnieszka and Diana sit also in front but before the prayer they were asked to go to the women section. The prayer was quite short about 15 min. I found the whole atmosphere peaceful and the Turks very friendly. Everybody is asking were we are from and when they find out that Diana is from Bulgaria they say - "komshu" (neighbor) and are even more friendly. Turks and Bulgarians like each other.
After the Blue mosque we went to the main street exchanged some money (100 USD - 140 TL). We were getting hungry and started to look for some small burek restaurant. We took some smaller roads with less tourist. It was also not too crowded. Diana was told her fortune by a pigeon. He told her that she will understand more islam. We found a small local restaurant and had a nice "corba" pice soup and bread and cheese. The local man were very friendly. We went back to the main street and after a short time entered the famous "Great Bazzar". The guidebook says that there are 4000 shops. I was hoping to find a 24V battery charger for my oil pump, but it was mainly goods for tourists - gold, rugs, cloths, lamps, perfumes - nothing too exiting for us so we bough only a natural sugar free apple tea.
The next stop was at the Beyazit mosque. There was a nice light and I took few pictures. It was around 6 and we went to find the famous 16 century Cemberlitas Hamam (turkish bath). I was quite curious to experience the ultimate turkish relaxation place. It cost 24 TL and included bath and massage. The men end girls were separated. I was taken upstairs where I got my private dressing room and towels. After entering the bath I was laid down on a big hot marble stone and they poured hot water over me. There were about 30 men. I was observing what was happening there trying to figure out what will be the next. After some time of heating on the stone, I was puled to the edge and man started to scrub my whole body. After the scrubbing which was very pleasant he put on me soap and started to wash and massage my body. After I was all washed I sat up and he washed and massaged my head and poured water over me. It was very nice. After some time of relaxing I went back to the hot stone. I was laying and imagining that it was the same experience for many men for almost 500 years.
I stayed there for almost 3 hours getting hot and cooling down with hot water. When I finished the girls were already relaxing outside in the main room. After this very refreshing experience we went to our "Ducato" hotel and fall a sleep.

No comments: