Sunday, January 7

Going to Syria

IMG_0224 (1).jpg
We got up around 8 and prepared for our journey to Syria. Before we left we heard the music from the pub and we went to say goodbye to our new friends. It looked like that the wedding continues and we were pulled back to the pub. The same musician as yesterday was playing and singing and a lot of old women were siting by the chimney and observing. Agnieszka started to dance with girls and kids and I took few more pictures. It was getting late and we had to leave. It was a bit strange to leave and I felt that I knew these people for a long time. The road was again very good. There was only a little bit of snow. Passing through the mountains before Adana was no problem. We had to pay only 2 TL for 120 km of freeway though the mountains. After two and half hour we reached Adana. We saw palm trees and the weather was much warmer. There was a freeway all the way to Iskenderun where we stopped at the Mediterranean sea. Since it was only 50 km to the Syrian boarders we decided to continue and cross the boarders at night. Before the boarders I have filled my gas tank with LPG. They also had a hose for filling the bombs so it was very easy. We took one hitchhiker from the gas station to the boarder. He spoke good German and helped us a bit at the Turkish borders which were little confusing. I was more afraid of the Syrian borders and I was very surprised how nice and helpful were all people. They all greeted us with "Welcolme to Syria" and spoke good English. The only problem going to Syria was that I had to pay 100 USD for driving a diesel car and If we will stay more than one week we will have to pay 100 USD for each week. I was trying to explain them that my car runs on vegetable oil and it is more ecological than diesel so I should not pay extra taxes for driving a diesel car. They liked the idea but since my car has a diesel engine I had to pay 100 USD. I also had to buy a Syrian insurance. It was 36 USD for 1 month and there was a 10 USD fee for the customs. There was a very nice office where I could get all the papers. It was also very good that I had the carnet papers for the car. It took over one hour to get all papers. Know-body checked the car or wanted to see Agnieszka and as we were leaving the boarders an officer greeted us "Welcome to Syria my friend". He was also very friendly and I gave him an orange and 2 more for his friends. The roads in Syria were not as good as in Turkey and also the driving looked a bit more chaotic but still quite safe, I only had to watch for motorcycles and cars with no lights on. We planned to stay outside of Allepo, but it was only 50 km and we did not find any nice place to park. It was quite easy to find the center and we parked just next to the entrance of the Allepo Citadel - the old castle. The main street was a bit noisy but after driving for all day I fall asleep immediately.

No comments: