Sunday, January 21

Going to Egypt

IMG_2016 (1).jpg

We got up around 8 am. I filled the tanks with fresh water. It comes from a very deep well and supposed to be good for drinking. We use it only for tea and cooking. The sky was still cloudy, but the rain stopped. Our next destination was a sea port in Aquaba.  Egypt is less than 20 km from Jordan, but I would have to drive through Israel. In order to get to Egypt without going through Israel, we had to take a ferry from Aquaba. We got to the harbour around 11 am and found out that the fast ferry boat (1.5 hour) leaves at 1 pm and the slow boat ( 3.5 hours) should leave around 2 pm.  The slow boat was cheaper, so we decided to take it. Since we stayed 1 day more, I had to pay 5 JD for the car and we had to pay 5 JD departure taxes. The boat ticket was 35 USD and I had to pay 175 USD for the car. It would have been much cheaper to go through Israel but then, I could not go back through Syria or Libya. We got on the boat at 1 pm hopping that we will leave soon. At 3 pm I found out that the boat will leave around 5 pm and that we should be in Nuweba (Egypt) at 8:30 pm. It was true and we were happy, after one month, to finally reach Egypt. Getting visa was easy and it cost 10 USD. Bringing the car to Egypt was a bit more complicated. I needed to get Egyptian licence plate, insurance and new car papers. It cost around 120 USD and took 2 hours. The only problem was with my carnet. Because the car is registered to my company, my name was not there. I have showed that it is my company. After some discussion they let me go. Again, nobody checked the inside of my car. The only thing I had to show was the fire extinguisher. Luckily, before I left I bought a new one, which was big enough. We entered Egypt before midnight and spent our first night close to the Hilton Hotel which was well guarded

No comments: