Saturday, January 6

Underground city, Turkish family and wedding

IMG_0045 (1).jpg
Since I went to sleep around 8 pm last night I got up at 8 and made breakfast. There was 10 cm of snow. It was quite nice view on the rocks and cave houses. We left around 10 am and our stop was the biggest underground city in Derinkuyu. It was less than 50 km from Goreme and the roads were covered with snow but driving was good. We parked next to the underground city bought the ticket for 10 TL (7 Euro) and descended 8 foors underground. This time we have joined the Japanese group and had a free guided tour. The guide told us that this city was build by Christians in 7th century, It was used during the wars for hiding the inhabitants of the city. It had 8 floors and could hide 4000 people for 6 months. When we climed up from the underground city the sun was up and we decided to explore the local market. As we started to take some pictures one lady to talk with us in a good German. She told us that she lives in Austria and invited us for a coffee. On the way to her house she told us that she has been living n Linz for 20 years and she came here for the holidays. In front of her house we met her son. We find out that he was born in Austria and he just got married with a Turkish girl 3 days ago. Thy are planning to return to Austria next week. They were very nice and gave us a lot of food. I took some pictures and told them that I can print few in my car. They took us back to my car an I printed for them few pictures. As we were getting ready to leave some guy came to sell us a book about Kappadocia. He ask for 7 Euro and we bought it for 4 Euro. I packed my photo printer and waited for Agnieszka to come back from toilette. It was taking quite a long time and I was wandering where she is. There was a wedding in the nearby pub so I went to look inside and here she was dancing with the local ladies. It was quite an interesting site. Covered women siting on one side, men and few women dancing. I started to take pictures and people were very friendly. I took few pictures of the bride and groom and went back to car to print them. It looked like that the party is over but it was just a small brake. We gave them the pictures and he women took Agnieszka upstairs and I was pulled to the pub with all man. There was a live music - one man show and about 20 men drinking bier. After some time two men started to dance with each other. It look like 2 roosters. I took few pictures and started to move to the rhythm. It did not take too long and I was asked to dance - of course by a man. It was a bit strange to dance with a man but as my body started to move I became quite popular and I had to dance with several guys. I stared to understand the situation. The men were dancing with themselves downstairs and the girls upstairs. I was not allowed to go upstairs to see Agnieszka so I continued dancing and waiting for Agnieszka. Knowbody spoke any English or German so I could not communicate too much. Men were very nice and friendly and they liked being photographed. After some time Agnieszka appeared with her new girl-friend Derya. They asked me to go upstairs and take more pictures of women. I was quite happy to do that. I printed few more pictures and went back to the pub. After some time one guy took me upstairs and here I saw Agnieszka dancing with girls. She looked almost like the other women. Her hair were also covered by scarf and she had big funny pants. I had to take pictures of all women and their kids. After some time all women went downstairs and watch two men dancing with each other. One man was dressed as a woman. After this show all women went back upstairs. It was almost 10 pm so we decided to stay over night. Agnieszka was taken back for coffee and I staid in the car and wrote my blog. This was the 1st time I felt I have experienced a bit of local culture and met the local people. It was very nice and proved the hospitality of local people. We went to sleep around 1 am.

No comments: