Friday, March 16

Greece - different culture and collecting oil

IMG_5260.JPG
Since my tanks are almost empty I went to search for some oil. First I went to ask a big hotel, but they did not want to give me the oil, but they sad that somebody is taking it. My next stop was at the beach front were I saw many restaurants. I went to 5 restaurants but no luck. Most of them juts though it away every night - no recycling. It was not too encouraging so on the way out fomr the city I stoped at Lidle and bought 15 l of new sunflower oil - 1l 0.96 Euro ( 1 l of diesel is less than 0.9 Euro).
After driving about 100 km I was stoped by police. I thought that I went too fast, but they wanted to search my car. It looked like that they were looking if there is somebody else in the car. They were not very friendly and after the search of my car at the boarder I felt like being in some police state. The rest of the travel to Tesaloniki was OK. In the center I saw McDonald and I went to ask for some oil. There was a very young manager (girl). She told me that someone takes the oil and she did not want to give me any. I went to few more fast food restaurants and in one they told me to come back next day. I coninued to dowtown. The streets were packed by cars and it was not possible to park anywhere. Suddenly my engine stopped running and I realized that I have run out of fuel (oil). Lukely there was a palce for me to park and so it was not a big problem. I have a 10l of diesel in my spare canister so when I run out of fuel it is OK. I cosed my car and went to explore the city and the local restaurants. I went to Pizza Hut but they do not use vegetable oil but I met there nice guy. Hi name is Startos and he was interested in the possibility of using vegetable oil as a alternative fuel. Hi comes for an island and his family grows organic olives. He told me about few places where I could find used oil. In the first place I met a nice guy. he was very interested in the idea and promised to give me some oil next day after he changes the oil. I was happy and I went to asked to few more fast food places. Most of them did not want to it or they just through it away. I found a place with many restaurants and I was quite lucky to find few places where they will save some oil for me. During my search for oil I have found out that most of the places throw the oil to the sink overnight.
Walking in the streets was very different experience that I had in last 2 months. There were many young girls and a lots of people on the streets and in the bars. Another difference was that I felt like complete stranger - know-body sad halo or welcome. There were many people on the streets but it was not possible to have any conversation or to meet somebody. I felt strange and a bit lonely.

No comments: